Florida slips, trips and falls are the 3rd leading cause of unintentional death according to the National Safety Council (NSC). As people age, the likelihood of a fall increases. Injury Facts 2016 reports that among Americans age 65 and older, slips are the number one cause of injury related death.
Statistics for Slip, Trip, and Fall Injuries
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has provided statistics illustrating the seriousness of slips, trip and falls.
- One out of every three older Americans falls each year
- In 2013 emergency rooms treated 2.5 million victims of falls
- 25,500 older adults suffered fatalities from falls in 2013
- Each year 250,000 hip fractures are reported – 95% of which are from falls
While aging itself is not the culprit of falls, the two go hand in hand. Muscle weakness, medications, and lessened mobility increase the risk of falls among older Americans. There are tips to reducing the probability of suffering a fall-related injury however.
- Remove clutter (unnecessary furniture, chords, pet gear, rugs, etc.)
- Wipe up spills as soon as possible
- Use non-skid mats in bathrooms
- Install grab bars in bathrooms
- Maintain adequate home lighting
- Keep frequently used items in easily accessible locations
- Use devises to aid in walking safely (canes, walkers, etc.)
Additionally, exercise serves as a strong method of preventing falls. The Harvard Medical School has advised older adults to participate in Tai Chi to help reduce the risk of a fall. Tai Chi participants reduced the probability of falling by 55% based on 3 days a week of participation.
Who to Call If Injured in a Slip, Trip or Fall Accident in Southwest Florida
Falls can lead to a variety of injuries such as traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), concussions, hip fractures and many others. If you or someone you know has suffered an injury from a fall it is important to seek experienced legal counsel. The attorneys at Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Rice, and Purtz have over 50 years experience dealing with personal injury law. With offices throughout Southwest Florida, we are here to conveniently serve you. Call us today for a free consultation.