Parking Lot Car Accidents
Whether you are a pedestrian or a driver, parking lots can be an especially dangerous place mainly due to increased traffic congestion. Often, pedestrians and drivers are lulled into a false sense of security, because the pace of traffic is much slower than on the roads.
There are several statistics that illustrate the seriousness of parking lot accidents.
- 1 out of 5 motor vehicle crashes take place in a parking lot
- 14% of all automobile insurance claims involving damage to a vehicle take place in parking lots
- On average, there are 206 fatalities/year
- One quarter of all parking lot accidents involve vehicles travelling in reverse
How to Avoid Parking Lot Accidents
- Abide by signage such as stop signs or speed limit signs
- Use headlights and park in well lit areas
- Avoid traffic congestion – parking further away from your destination will reduce the likelihood you are involved in a collision
- Avoid distractions such as phone usage
What to Do If You’re In A Crash
Parking lot accidents can be tricky to navigate because oftentimes these are relatively minor compared to an accident on a road or highway. According to the InsuranceHotline.com you should treat this type of crash as if it were any other vehicle accident. The Insurance Hotline offers these recommendations:
- If possible, move your vehicle out of the way
- Check vehicle occupants for injuries – Call 9-1-1 if necessary
- If you feel safe to do so check on the safety of the occupant(s) of the other vehicle
- Report the accident to authorities – when in doubt it is better to be safe than sorry
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident
Who to Call If Injured In an Accident
Accidents can happen anytime. While many of these accidents are minor, the consequences can linger. From minor injuries to fatalities or even financial loss, it is important to seek qualified legal counsel to assist you. The attorneys at Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Rice and Purtz have over 5 decades of legal experience to serve you. Give us a call today to schedule a free consultation.