Boating Accidents from Boating Under the Influence (BUI)
Florida’s subtropical climate in the north and tropical climate in the south make it home to many boat enthusiasts. With ideal boating weather and water located on 3 sides and throughout the state, boaters can enjoy the luxury of year-round boating. Unfortunately, boating is oftentimes enjoyed with alcoholic beverages on hand. It is important that boaters be aware of the laws and dangers pertaining to Boating Under the Influence (BUI).
Dangers of Boating Under the Influence (Boatingundertheinfluence.org)
• A person boating under the influence is 10 times more likely to die than a sober boat operator (See Boating DUI Law below for Limits)
• 34% of fatal boat accidents are alcohol-related
• External conditions (motion, vibration, noise, sun, wind, spray) intensify alcohol affects
• Motor skills such as those used to drive a car (coordination, reaction time, judgement etc.) become diminished
Boating DUI Law (http://myfwc.com/boating/regulations/)
• Illegal to operate Vessel while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
• Breath alcohol level of .08 or higher presumed under the influence (over 21 years old)
• Under 21 years old – .02 alcohol level or above is a violation of Florida Law
According to Boatingundertheinfluence.org BUI Penalties can include but are not limited to:
• Suspension or Revocation of Driver’s License
Who to Call
If you or someone you know are involved in a BUI or BUI accident it is important to seek experienced legal counsel. The attorneys at Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Rice, and Purtz, have over 50 years experience in dealing with boating accidents due to a boat operator boating under the influence of alcohol, and other boating accident related offenses. Contact us today for a free consultation.