We have all seen or heard of parking lot accidents occurring. Maybe you have even been involved in a parking lot crash. With the slower speed of vehicles in parking lots you would think that accidents wouldn’t happen; however, parking lot accidents, injuries and even fatalities are more common than you may think. According to the National Safety Council, or NSC, over 50,000 motor vehicle crashes occur in garage structures or parking lots each year. These parking lot accidents result in more than 60,000 injuries and over 500 deaths annually. With the hustle and bustle during the holiday season, parking lots tend to become more dangerous. While you and your family are out during this holiday season and always, please remember to follow some parking lot safety tips.
Parking Lot Accidents: Safety Tips
- Drive slowly in all parking lots and parking garage structures
- Follow the lanes and do not cut across lots and empty parking spaces
- Stay alert and anticipate the actions of others
- Watch out for stop signs and no parking signs
- Always look both ways and double check when backing out of your parking space. Watch for vehicles and pedestrians.
- Be on the look out for small children and parents pushing carts or baby strollers.
- Watch for blind spots and don’t always rely on back-up monitoring systems.
- Avoid distracted driving. No phone calls, texting or eating while parking, backing up or driving through parking lots.
Additional Causes for Injuries in Parking Lots in Southwest Florida
While a parking lot crash soundthe like a main cause for parking lot injuries, vehicle crashes are not the sole cause of parking lot injuries. Slips, trips and falls are also common causes for injuries in parking lots. Many times, inadequate lighting, uneven pavement, potholes, debris or lack of signage can cause pedestrian injuries.
Protect Your Rights
If you or someone you know has been the victim of a parking lot accident and have sustained injuries or death, it is important to seek advice from attorneys experienced with personal injury cases. The attorneys at Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Rice and Purtz have over 50 years of experience with personal injury cases and we are here to represent you. We have six locations in Southwest Florida. Our offices are conveniently located in Fort Myers (2 to serve you), Naples, Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres and Port Charlotte. Contact the office nearest you and set up your appointment for a free consultation today.