Florida’s year-round subtropical climate provides a haven for motorcycle enthusiasts, increasing the number of motorcycle accidents. According to the Motley Fool, in 2015, Florida was the second leading state in motorcycle sales with 41,720 new motorcycle sales. Motorcycles, even when wearing a helmet can be extremely dangerous or even fatal. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), “motorcyclist deaths occurred 27 times more frequently than fatalities in other vehicles, based on 2014 fatal crash data.”
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Highway Loss Data Institute in 2015:
- 4,693 motorcyclists died in crashes; 91% were male and 61% were wearing a helmet
- Drivers operating without a valid driver’s license accounted for 27% motorcycle driver fatalities
- 88,000 motorcyclists were injured in 2015 from motorcycle accidents
Motorcycle Safety Tips
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration offers several tips for motorcycle operators:
- Share the road – All vehicle operators should be aware of the challenges motorcyclists face such as the size and visibility of a motorcycle; road awareness by all drivers increases safety
- Cycle Safety – obtain proper licensing, practice driving your motorcycle before you attempt to navigate roads with traffic, ensure your motorcycle is working properly
- On the Road – always wear a helmet, avoid unnecessary risks, don’t consume alcohol or drugs
Additionally, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention “The single most effective way for states to save lives and save money is a universal helmet law.” Helmets reduce fatalities by 37%.
Motorcycle safety is a very important issue. Wearing a helmet, driving safely, and avoiding drugs and alcohol can help reduce the risks associated with motorcycles. If you are in the unfortunate circumstance of being involved in a motorcycle accident it is important to seek qualified legal counsel.
Who to Call if injured in a motorcycle accident in Southwest Florida
The attorneys at Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Rice & Purtz have over 50 years of experience dealing with car and motorcycle accidents. With six offices located throughout Southwest ,Florida we are here to help. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.