The National Safety Council has found that drivers are three times more likely to be involved in a fatal crash at night. Nighttime driving presents additional challenges to drivers everywhere, and each year on November 6th Daylight savings comes to an end, shortening our time with daylight. Darkness, compromised vision, fatigue, rush hour, and impaired drivers all contribute to the extra difficulties of nighttime driving.
- Keep your headlights clean, bright, and aimed correctly
- Dim your dash and avoid looking directly at oncoming traffic
- Try anti-glare glasses if necessary; get regular eye checkups
- Keep windshield clean from dust, debris, and streaks
- Older drivers have more difficulty seeing at night
- The American Optometric Association (AOA) advises older drivers get regular vision exams, drive slower, take a refresher driving course, check for prescription drug affects and limit nighttime driving as much as possible
- Annually, 6,400 fatalities and 50,000 injuries occur from sleep-deprived drivers (National Sleep Foundation
- Getting a good night’s sleep, carpooling, taking driving breaks, and taking a nap if necessary are recommended tips avoiding driving fatigue
- Winter darkness, increased traffic, and eager drivers make rush hour especially risky
- Drivers should stay calm, drive slowly, avoid tailgating, and eliminate distractions
- Almost 30 people per day die from impaired driving (CDC)
- Never drive if you’ve been drinking and don’t let others drink and drive
Driving at night can be extremely dangerous even while driving safely. 50% of traffic deaths happen at night and thousands more suffer injuries. If you or someone you know has been involved in a nighttime car accident due to another driver’s negligence it is important you know who to call.
Who to Call
The attorneys at Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Rice, and Purtz have over 50 years experience in personal injury law. Our six offices in Southwest Florida are conveniently located in Fort Myers (2 offices), Cape Coral, Naples, Lehigh Acres, and Port Charlotte. Call us today to schedule a free consultation.