AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Commercial Law, Construction Law, Construction Lien Cases and Real Estate Closings
Made the bankruptcy process a painless process
Made the bankruptcy process a painless process and put us at ease with everything. It was a very difficult decision for us to file for bankruptcy and the knowledge and professionalism of Jeff Rice made it easy for us.
Jeff Rice joined the firm in 1976 and became a partner in 1978, serving as managing partner from 1997-2018.
In addition to triple board certification and decades of courtroom experience, the Cleveland, Ohio, native proved himself on the football field as a NFL referee for 25 years before retiring at the end of the season in 2020.
Over the past 25 years, Rice has officiated more than 400 NFL games and been granted 24 postseason assignments, including four Super Bowls and four Pro Bowls. Postseason officiating crews are considered the league’s top game officials. Rice is one of only 105 officials to work a Super Bowl game, and one of just 16 who have worked three or more Super Bowls.
His weekend job used his skills as an attorney, concentration and quick thinking, as well as standing up to bullies, in the courtroom and on the field. Working two demanding jobs throughout his career required stamina, organization and dedication.
- Northwestern University, B.A., cum laude, 1972
- Case Western Reserve University, J.D., 1975
- Admitted to the Florida Bar, 1975
- Licensed to practice in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Admitted to practice in the United States 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
Certifications and Distinctions
- Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate and Pre-Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial & Pre-Trial Advocacy (Trial Practice – Commercial and Corporation)
- AV Preeminent Rating through Martindale Hubbell’s Peer Reviews
- Named one of Florida’s “Super Lawyers” annually since 2006
- Selected for inclusion in the 19th edition of The Best Lawyers in America since 2013, published by Woodward/White
- Florida Bar Board of Certification, Board Certified Civil Trial Law, Business Litigation, and Construction Law
- Certified by the Florida Supreme Court as a Circuit and County Court Mediator
- Member of the Lee County Bar Association
- Member, Grievance Committee for the 20th Judicial Circuit, 1985-1988
- Inn of Court, including President (2001-2002)
- Grievance Committee for the Fort Myers Division of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida from 2009 to 2012
- Managing Partner for the firm from 1997-2018