Tie One On For Safety – Mothers Against Drunk Driving
From November 1st, 2017 to January 1st, 2018, Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) will be sponsoring an event called Tie One On for Safety. According to its website, the mission of MADD is “To end drunk driving, help fight drugged driving, support the victims of these violent crimes and prevent underage drinking.” The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has even credited MADD with helping save almost 30,000 lives by helping pass the law requiring consumers be 21 years of age to drink.
Drunk or drugged driving is a major problem that can lead to financial loss, injuries, or even fatalities. The statistics (provided by the NHTSA) are staggering.
- One person dies every 53 minutes in the U.S. from drunk driving – 28 people daily
- 2 out of every 3 people will be involved in an alcohol-related crash during their lifetime
- 800 people per day are injured in a drunk driving accident
Because of the dangers of drunk driving, MADD works tirelessly to help prevent as many drunk driving occurrences as possible. Since 1980 when MADD was founded, drunk driving deaths have been cut in half. MADD also offers solutions to reduce drunk/drugged driving.
MADD offers 4 steps we can take today to eliminate drunk driving.
- High Visibility Law Enforcement: When people are worried about getting caught they are a lot less likely to drink and drive. Presence of law enforcement and sobriety checkpoints strongly deter drinking and driving.
- Ignition Interlocks: Adding breathalyzers to vehicles reduces drunk driving.
- Advance Vehicle Technology: Breath or touch sensors can prevent a drunk driver from operating a vehicle.
- Public Support: Taxis, public transportation, UBER, and designated drivers all reduce drunk driving.
Although the four solutions above are designed to eliminate drunk driving there is always a risk you may encounter a drunk driver on the roads. If you or someone you know has been involved in an alcohol-related accident it is important you know who to call.
Who to Call
The attorneys at Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Rice, and Purtz have over 50 years experience in personal injury law. Our 6 offices located in Southwest Florida are conveniently located in Fort Myers (2 offices), Cape Coral, Naples, Lehigh Acres, and Port Charlotte. Call us today to schedule a free consultation.