The United States Department of Transportation Traffic Safety Marketing promotes the slogan “Everyone is a Pedestrian.” According to the NHTSA, pedestrians are those traveling by foot, whether “walking, running, jogging, hiking, sitting, or laying down.” In 2014, 4,884 pedestrians suffered fatalities while another 65,000 pedestrians were injured in traffic accidents. With the dangers of being a pedestrian, it is easy to see why pedestrian safety is so important. The statistics below will help illustrate the importance of pedestrian safety.
- Every 2 hours a pedestrian suffers a fatality, every 8 minutes a pedestrian is injured
- In 2014, 15% of traffic fatalities and 3% of those injured in traffic accidents were pedestrians
- Alcohol was involved in 48% of all fatal pedestrian accidents (driver and/or pedestrian)
- Over 2/3 of pedestrian fatalities were males
To help promote pedestrian safety the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides safety tips for drivers and pedestrians.
- Always be on the lookout for pedestrians; stop at all crosswalks
- Avoid passing vehicles at crosswalks – they may have stopped for pedestrians
- Avoid drinking or using drugs while driving; follow traffic laws and don’t speed
- Slow down around school zones, neighborhoods or other places children may be
- Use sidewalks; if there is no sidewalk walk on the shoulder facing traffic
- Be cautious and predictable
- Use crosswalks and walk in well-lit areas
- Wear bright clothing at night and don’t use drugs or alcohol
Following the above safety tips will help encourage pedestrian safety. Nonetheless, there are always risks to being a pedestrian. If you or a loved one have been involved in a traffic crash with a pedestrian or as a pedestrian it is important that you seek qualified legal counsel.
Who to Call
The attorneys at Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Rice, and Purtz have over 50 years experience in personal injury law. Our 6 offices located in Southwest Florida are conveniently located in Fort Myers (2 offices), Cape Coral, Naples, Lehigh Acres, and Port Charlotte. Call us today to schedule a free consultation.