Motorcycle Accident Safety Tips
Motorcycles are one of the most dangerous means of transportation. According to the NHTSA in 2013 4,668 motorcyclists were killed and 88,000 more were injured on our nation’s roads. The NHTSA estimates that helmets saved the lives of 1,630 motorcyclists in 2013 and 715 more lives could have been saved if helmets would have been worn.
Important Motorcycle Safety Tips
- Preparation: Before a ride, check the clutch and throttle, make sure mirrors are clean and adjusted correctly. Test both front and rear brake levers. Try the horn for proper function and check wheels and fluids weekly. Also make sure your day time running lights as well as your lights for night time driving are operational.
- Avoid wet roads: Southwest Florida has considerable rainfall during summer months and riding a motorcycle on slippery roads should be avoided when possible. If you have to ride, reduce your speed, and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles on the road.
- Safer quick stops: The need to stop suddenly sometimes cannot be avoided, it is important to know how to apply front and rear brake pressure properly and how to handle wheel locks if they occur.
- Dangerous surfaces: Broken pavement, potholes, railroad tracks and debris can be dangerous to motorcyclists. Be aware of any surfaces and proceed with caution.
- Wear protective gear/clothing: Wear jackets and pants to cover arms and legs completely and bright colors to increase the visibility to other drivers. Boots or shoes should be worn to provide support along with gloves that provide a good grip and protect your hands in the event of a crash. Never ride without wearing a properly fitted helmet.
We care about your safety
For many riders, nothing compares to the freedom of a motorcycle on the open road. As Fort Myers motorcycle accident attorneys we understand that many motorcycle accidents can be avoided if you keep your motorcycle maintained and follow the state recommended safety procedures. If you or someone you know has been involved in a motorcycle accident, the attorneys at Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Rice & Purtz P. A. are here to help. With over 50 years experience and extensive knowledge in motorcycle accidents, call us today for a free consultation.