In the state of Florida it is common to see some type of auto accident during your daily routine of driving. In fact, according to the Florida DMV there are more than 200,000 auto accidents every year in the state of Florida. Being involved in an accident doesn’t always require an attorney. Many times the parties involved will have their insurance companies handle minor mishaps. There are, however, many Fort Myers and Naples accidents where you should seek the consultation of an experienced auto accident/personal injury attorney.
Things you should think about before you call an attorney
What factual information should I gather?
- Drivers names of all vehicles involved
- License plate, color make and model of vehicle
- Insurance company and policy
- Registration information of all vehicles involved
- Pinpoint the location of the accident
Things to take note of after an auto accident
- Does anyone involved appear to be under the influence of drugs/alcohol?
- Was any medical assistance needed?
- Were any personal injuries reported?
- What time of day and current weather conditions?
- Were any comments made after the accident by either party involved (I was in a hurry, I was talking on my cell phone, I wasn’t paying attention, etc.)?
- Take photographs of property damage and other road way evidence
Were the other parties involved in your Southwest Florida accident insured or uninsured?
Regardless of them being insured or uninsured you should call your own insurance company and let them know what happened. You are under no obligation to call the other party’s insurance company. If there is some indecision on what to do, you should seek legal advice from a professional auto accident attorney.
Should you handle your auto accident claim without legal representation?
In the event of an auto accident the answer to this is “probably not.” Most often in minor accidents where there are no injuries, insurance companies can handle claims between both parties without any problems. When you are injured in an accident, it’s a good idea to seek an attorney. If you were hurt due to the accident, file a police report and contact a personal injury attorney. Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Rice and Purtz will offer a free initial consultation. This will allow you the opportunity to gather some advice on your car accident or any other type of personal injury case.