Dog Bite and Injury Accidents
Southwest Florida is home to mild winters and plenty of sunshine. With year round warm temperatures visitors and locals enjoy outdoor activities such as visiting the beaches, boating, and walking. You will often see people enjoying these activities with their dogs. While many dogs are peaceful and playful, it is important to always be aware of potential bad dogs. Dog attacks can leave victims with serious injuries. From May 19th-25th National Dog Bite Prevention Week will take place to call awareness to this important issue.
Dog Bite Statistics
From minor scratches to fatalities, dog bites can leave victims with a wide range of injuries. DogBites.org offers statistics pertaining to dog bites:
- Every day approximately 1,000 U.S. citizens need emergency care for serious dog bite injuries; 9,500 annually are hospitalized
- In the United States a dog bite occurs every 75 seconds
- Over $570 million was paid out by insurance companies in 2015 for homeowners liability claims pertaining to dog bites and dog-related injuries
- Over 28,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery from dog bites in 2015
- On average 2 Floridians per year die from dog bites
What to Do if You are Bitten or Attacked
During dog attacks, injuries can be caused by a dog biting the victim or by knocking the victim to the ground. According to the Florida Department of Health, there are 3 steps you should take if you are attacked by a dog. First, if bitten, control the bleeding from the bite and wash the affected area with soap and water. If injured in some other manner, see to your injuries. Next, contact your local county health department, police, or animal control agency to report the incident. Finally, seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Who to Call If You Are Bitten By A Dog in Southwest Florida
Dog attacks and bites can result in serious medical injuries and/or financial loss. If you or a loved one have sustained injuries from a dog attack or bite it is important to seek legal counsel. The attorneys at Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Purtz, and Rice have over 50 years of experience in personal injury law. Our six offices are conveniently located throughout southwest Florida. Call us today for a free consultation.